Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hitched in Honduras… Sorry Mom


Decorations... in progress

Sunday was the Kermesse, which is basically the equivalent of a one-day parish festival.  There were games, bands, food, ect.  All of the girls spent the previous week preparing for the festivities, working out steps for their class’s dance for the Festival or practicing modeling for the model showcase (which Thalia took part in.  I really wanted to see her strut her stuff, but unfortunately I was selling tickets at the time of the show so I missed it).  All day Saturday was spent decorating the school for the big party.  One of the interna’s families brought in a bun of bamboo and we made little houses out of it from which food was sold.  The girls made a bunch of signs and banners to decorate the school.  It all turned out really well and looked absolutely awesome! 

A bamboo food-stand
The festivities started at 8:00 AM on Sunday morning.  I was put to work practically right away selling tickets in one of the banks because the teacher who was supposed to be selling there hadn’t shown up yet – and he didn’t show up until 10:00 for his 8-11:00 shift… only in Honduras would one get away with that.  Anyways, I spent a majority of my day selling tickets as after working from 8-11 in one bank, I moved to another bank to sell tickets from 11-2.  I then was able to walk around and hang out until about 2:45 when I noticed that one of the banks was short a person and went back to selling tickets until around 6:00.  However, I was able to talk to some of the different teachers at the school which was really cool because we don’t have a lot of time during the school day to get to know each other.      

My marriage certificate and ring
In the banks, we sold tickets that the patrons used to play the various games and buy food.  The games were:  roulettes, a raffle-like thing, throwing a ball through a hole that was supposed to be a clown’s nose, you could send people to jail and they had to pay to get out, and you could make people “get married” and then have to pay to get divorced.  Hence, the name of this post.  During my first shift in the bank, a guy came up and wanted to buy a ticket to make someone get married.  After buying the ticket, he turns to me and goes “I want to marry you.”  I was like: Say what?  But he insisted so we went over to the little “marriage” room that the girls had set up.  They put a veil on my head, had us sign a piece of paper, two witnesses signed it, we exchanged 75 cent rings, and the facilitator goes “okay, kiss”  and I’m like: Say what?  Yet again.  (I was so not prepped for what was involved in this process!)  So I go in for the kiss on the cheek, you know the I’ll kiss your cheek, you kiss mine that is normal with Latin American population.  However, he had a different idea and completely planted a wet sloppy one on my mouth (that took off all of the chapstick I had on.  It was GROSS!  Anyway, so now I’m married – at least according to the Intsituto María Auxiliadora.  Sorry Mom!

My Primer Bacchi girls doing
their dance
The other cool thing that they did at the Kermesse was: each of the classes choreographed their own dance number to a mash-up that they had composed themselves.  All of the groups then got up and performed during the Festival in the afternoon.  Because I was selling tickets, I was not able to see all of the groups, but the ones I did see were all really good.  It is actually really impressive how well some of the girls can dance!

For those of you who don’t know, yesterday was by birthday (I turned 22 – man I’m getting old!) and I was able to celebrate it here.  Some of the girls woke me up in the morning by popping a bunch of balloons right outside our door and blasting the mananitas song (a Spanish Happy Birthday song) literally all morning.  They have a CD of a bunch of different renditions, so as Thalia and I were getting ready we heard the same song, like, 15 times.  At breakfast, the internas sang me the mananitas song and then I was sung to again by the sisters (in Spanish and again in English – which was really quite comical).  My English class also sang me Happy Birthday in English.  Throughout the day I received an obscene number of hugs from all of the girls here – even when I was walking out around the town with the internas yesterday afternoon to take them shopping, a couple of the girls from school stopped me to wish me happy birthday and give me a hug and then made their two friends who don’t go to school at María Auxiliadora wish me happy birthday and give me a hug too.  Thalia and I baked a jello poke cake and it turned out really well (but the cake is really simple, which is why we chose it!) and all of the sisters loved it!  There is very little left, I’m not sure if it will live through lunch today!  A bunch of the girls also made me birthday cards and a couple of them even got me presents, which was super sweet and totally unexpected! 

It is truly amazing how much love these girls have to share… they don’t have a lot of the material possessions that we have in the US but what they do have they share with others or straight up give away.  And when they don’t have anything to give, they shower you with so much love that it is truly astounding.  I feel incredibly blessed to have been give this time to spend with all of the amazing people that are here!  It truly was a blessed birthday.

Additionally, I want to thank all of you who sent me birthday cards here.  The sisters mentioned that the volunteers usually don’t get as many cards as I have… You guys all mean so much to me, and I really appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers.  Know that my thoughts are prayers are with you as well.

I guess that’s all for now.  Loves to everyone at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment