Thursday, June 21, 2012

One more week...


So, once again, it has been a while since I have updated this… sorry.  A ton has happened since I last posted, so I’ll try to give you a taste of everything but probs won’t dive into that much detail. 

Ashley is here!
Sor Xiomara, Profe Hector, and I went to San Pedro Sula to pick up Ashley on Monday the 4th.  It was actually kinda weird speaking in English when she first got here having not really spoken any English to another native English speaker here for a month.  My first instinct was to actually talk to her in Spanish which took me by surprise.  But that feeling really didn’t last all that long.  Ashley is an adorable accountant from just outside of Dallas, Texas.  She was here three years ago for about a month and a half when she first graduated from college and is now taking about 2 and a half months off of work to volunteer again. 

Tracy and Molly came too!
Tracy and Molly, two previous volunteers also came to visit this past week.  Molly was here and in El Salvador as well for a grand total of 2 years at the same time Ashely was here.  Tracy was here 2 years ago for a year.  Molly only came for 4 days and then was traveling to El Salvador to say hi to the sisters there too.  Tracy will be here until the 25th.  It was a party in our room for a while, which was a ton of fun.  At night, Tracy and Molly would share the stories of their escapades while they were here.  It was really interesting listening to the stories of their adventures and comparing their stories to what the Sisters have told us about what they did.  Apparently they had quite the adventures while they were here.  Tracy was picked up by a couple of the volunteers who were in El Salvador in a car that they had rented and then drove to the Ruins by themselves using nothing other than a coloring map… apparently this adventure involved yelling out of the car to strangers in the towns which way they had to go and then taking a “short cut” through the aldeas and needing to drive across a small river.  Yeah, my stories aren’t nearly as good. 

Also, the sisters always told Thalia and I that the volunteers always met gringo friends.  And we blamed the fact that we never did on the fact that Peace Corps is no longer in Honduras.  However, talking to Molly and Tracy, they had like one or two American friends and that was it.  Hearing this makes me feel a lot better… I was concerned that I was just anti-social here.   

We visited Swami’s house!
Ashely’s first weekend we both went to Swami’s house.  Swami is one of the Segund Curso girls who lives in Lempira.  Ashely, when she was here before, Swami’s aunt, I think her name was Rudi, was a student at María and Ashely visited her house so she had previously met all of Swami’s family.  Rudi actually came home from Gracias where she is currently studying to be a nurse, so I was able to meet her and her family.  While we were hanging out, Swami’s younger sister and cousin got both Ashley and I to play tag with them (in Honduras it is called oofa) for hours on end.  When we needed a break, they girls stole our cameras and took a bazillion pictures of themselves and us and just about everything you can take a picture of. 

 
On Saturday morning, Swami’s dad and brother took us to one of their family coffee farms.  It was super cool!  I always wanted to visit one of the girl’s coffee farms but was afraid to ask because a majority of them are rather far away from their homes.  The coffee won’t be ready until November, but the family cut down some bananas that they brought back to the school. 

On Saturday night, we went to the town’s school where they were playing a movie… it was Drag Me to Hell which is a comical scary movie.  There were a ton of young kids there who thought it was hilarious… I couldn’t watch.  I am so totally not a scary movie fan!

Oh, and funny story!  I don’t remember if it was Friday or Saturday night, but there was a HUGE bug flying around in our room.  Ashley called it a “Flying Cockroach” which it basically was.  Anyways, we were about to go to bed and this thing was flying around and Ashley was screaming (but quietly because Swami’s family was sleeping) and I was laughing (but once again quietly) and trying not to make a whole lot of noise… but the bug was seriously gross.  Eventually, it landed on Ashley’s bed and I trapped it in a plastic bag and threw it out the door.  It was hilarious, and if I had more time/wanted to write more, I promise this story would have been better, but maybe you had to be there.  I do, however, miss the dry season when there were significantly fewer bugs.  On that topic, though.  The other day in our room at María, Tracy told me that she stepped on a cockroach… I was perfectly content believing that we didn’t have cockroaches in our room… that bubble has officially been popped!

My class ended!
I finished my last week of class on Friday and I handed in my grades today… I am officially a retired English teacher!  The girls actually did really well with this module which makes them, me, and Sor Mirna really happy. 

I went to Guatemala.
I went to Guatemala on Tuesday with some of the sisters who were traveling to a retreat in Guatemala.  We dropped them off in Esquipulas where they caught a bus to Guatemala City.  However, there is a really awesome Basilica in Esquipulas where the Cristo Negro is.  So we saw the Basilica, walked around the town, took some pics and then drove back to Santa Rosa. 



I only have 7 days left.
So, for those of you who don’t know, I’m coming home on June 28.  That gives me 7 more days here.  And while I'm super excited to go home and am starting to get everything ready for when I leave - the girl's and sister's presents are almost done, it really is bitter sweet.  I love all of the girls here SO much.  And they are all leaving for vacation on Friday, which means that they are having my despidida tonight and I have to say goodbye to everyone tomorrow... it really is coming to an end... and I'm not sure if I'm ready.  I already said goodbye to the three sisters who went to Guatemala.  It is very surreal... and doesn't feel real yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment