Saturday, March 10, 2012

Laundry lessons


I’m sure you guys are probably sick of me talking about laundry (I think I said something similar in my last post, when, again, I was talking about laundry), but, believe it or not, laundry has taught me a couple of lessons.  It gives me a lot of time to think… 

Up until now, I have intentionally kept this blog very up-beat and filled with happy stories of my adventures so far (at least I have tried to, if I have failed at this, I am terribly sorry).  However, as I was doing laundry today, I realized that I chose VIDES for a couple of reasons:

1.  It was a larger and well established organization that had a home-base in the US (that was one of her criteria for allowing me to do this – Love you mom!).
2.  It allowed me to go somewhere in Central America for 6 months – a lot of the other programs were only for a couple of months or it required a year-long commitment.
3.  It was Christian, and more specifically, Catholic.

I realized early on in my planning of this volunteering experience that I wanted to not just expand my horizon and volunteer, but I wanted to strengthen my relationship with God.  And by omitting that part of my experience from this blog, as I was doing, I was not telling you at least half of my story… so be forewarned, this will be a deeper, more God-centered post.  And, so, we return to laundry, and the current lesson God is teaching me by being in a place where I hand-wash my clothes.

I tend to regard myself as a rather simple and not materialistic person.  I don’t need a lot of “things,” and I’m not one to spend a lot of money.  However, being here has made me realize that I put a lot of value in money (not more value that I place in family and friends, ect. but a lot of value none-the-less).  I think that it is something that we fall prey to as Americans.  Money is my security blanket, I am a poor college student, I am planning on going to grad school, I need to be able to pay for an apartment, food, school, all the things that a person needs… and therefore, I place value in money, in having money saved for the future.  I’m sure you are all wondering what this has to do with washing clothing…  Well, let me explain, when I started washing my clothing, I was concerned that hand washing the clothes and letting them dry outside would somehow ruin them, therefore, requiring me to buy new clothes when I got home (as if I don’t have enough), therefore, requiring me to spend money that I wouldn’t otherwise have to spend.  It’s not like I brought nice clothes here… as a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure I didn’t spend more than $10 on any one article of clothing that I brought with me.  Additionally, I like my clothes, and for some reason, they have value to me… I don’t want them ruined. 

While, no, I don’t need a lot of things and I don’t need expensive things, I’m not high-maintenance… I do place unwarranted value in the material things of this world.  And I am prone to worrying about the future.  As Jesus says in Matthew 6:25-34:

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat [or drink], or about what you will wear.  Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are not you more important than they?  Dan any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?  Why are you anxious about clothes?  Learn from the way the wild flowers grow.  They do not work or spin.  But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them.  If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?  So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’  or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’  All these things the pagans seek.  Your heavenly father knows tha you need them all.  But seek first the kingdom [of God] and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you besides.  Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will teak care for itself.  Sufficient for a day is its own evil.” 

My lesson from laundry is this: I need to let go.  I need not worry about my life, I need to give my life to God – completely.  Because He knows what I need, and he knows the best way to provide it to me.  There is a song by a singer, Audrey Assad (who I absolutely love and if you haven’t heard of her, you NEED to look her up), called Everything is Yours, in which the part of chorus goes “If everything is yours, I’m letting it go.  No, it was never mine to hold.”  I am beginning to realize that I really need to live this way.  Is this scary? Are you crazy, YES!  Can I change overnight?  Absolutely not!  Do I know exactly where this realization is going to leave me?  No.  But I do have another four months to figure it out…

Who would have ever thought that laundry could be this deep?  P.S.  There was a lot of laundry today…

Now, to end with a couple of fun stories:

We were without running water for 4 days this past week… This meant that I went from Monday morning until Thursday morning without a shower.   Wednesday night, Thalia and I decided another day without a shower was not a possibility (I brushed my hair and I looked like I could have been one of the guys from Greece with my hear completely slicked back).  Therefore, Wednesday night, we washed Thalia’s hair in the sink by pouring water from a bucket over her head instead of using the faucet – no running water, remember? (can you believe she has never washed her hair in the sink before?  I am proud to say that I have had the pleasure previously and if you haven’t ever done this, you are truly missing out!).  Anyway, Thursday morning I was able to take a full bucket shower (including washing my hair), and it was quite the experience.  Basically, I poured water over my hair to get it all wet using a smaller water dish, and then shampooed my hair, rinsed it out using the same pouring water method.  It kinda was a lean over to the side and pour water over my head without making the water hit my body as it was quite cold.  And then I conditioned my hair… I considered skipping that step, but then realized that my hair was so tangled after the shampoo, that I would not be able to get a brush through it.  The whole experience, really wasn’t all that bad.  And if you have the inclination, after you have decided that you like washing your hair in a sink, I would highly recommend trying a full-on bucket shower. 

Prayers and love for everyone at home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment