Friday, February 17, 2012

Hola, mi nombre es Inigo Montoya. Tú mataste a mi padre, prepárate a morir…


I brought a couple of books from home to Honduras to read, one of which was The Princess Bride.  I absolutely LOVE the move, and if you haven’t seen it, I would strongly recommend seeing it now.  Anyway, the girls have an hour-and-a-half long silent study time that I have to supervise at night, so I break out the book.  The past couple of nights the girls have asked what the title means (they tend to be able to understand that princess is princesa, but not the bride part).  The first night, I didn’t know how to say bride (and my dictionary was not around), so I had to try to define “bride” with my limited Spanish… I eventually got the message across.  For those of you who don’t know… bride is novia… which is the same as girlfriend and fiancé (who knew?).  Anyways, last night some of the girls took the book and were paging through it and happened upon the name Inigo Montoya… and what do they say but… “Hola, mi nombre es Inigo Montoya.  Tú mataste a mi padre, prepárate a morir.” – Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father, prepare to die!  Apparently the girls saw the movie last year… and what other part would they remember?  So now whenever someone asks what book I’m reading, I just have to say, have you seen the movie with Inigo Montoya, ect. and they know exactly what book I’m reading.  Crazy!  Who would have thought that all of the girls here would have heard of The Princess Bride?  

On another note, I realize it is a couple of days late, but Feliz día de amor y amistad!  I was never one to celebrate Valentine’s Day at home, but here it was huge!  The sisters sold these cute little boxes (that Thalia and I put together) that were filled with candy and other assorted pink/red objects with tons of hearts.  You know, the general Valentine’s Day stuff.  Additionally, during their usual recess/study time the girls had a Valentine’s Day party that consisted of a ton of random games that were absolutely hilarious to watch. 

Pin the tail on the donkey
Trying to get the pen into the bottle
The first one was pin the tail on the donkey. 

They then played this game where they had a pen attached to a string that they tied onto the back of the girl’s shirt.  She then had to get the pen into the opening of a soda bottle (all the while wearing a skirt!).  It was ridiculous to watch!
Eating string
Next, the girls were given a piece of candy with a piece of string tied to each end.  The girls got into teams of two and put one end of the string in their mouth.  The goal was to eat the length of the string to get to the candy and the pair that got to the candy first won.
Trying to eat the candy

The next game consisted of taping a piece of candy to their cheek and other girls with candy taped to their cheek would try to eat the piece off of their competitor’s cheek.  This game often ended with the girls rolling on the ground.

Lastly, the girls played a version of bobbing for apples, except instead of bobbing for apples, they tried to get a coin out of the bottom of a small bowl.  

The night ended with the returning girls putting on various skits in the auditorium.  All in all, this was the most I have celebrated Valentine’s Day in a long time!

Peace and love to everyone at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment