Wednesday, February 1, 2012

When I was a hen…


We have a Zumba DVD here at the school that the girls occasionally use at night for gimnasio (exercise).  And because I am young and here, the sisters have given me the responsibility to lead this nighttime exercise.  Last night, the girls wanted to dance, but we couldn´t find the DVD and Sor Yolanda was nowhere to be found (she is the guardian of the DVD).  But… the girls wanted to dance, and because I have been doing Zumba with them, they have gotten it into their head that I can dance and that I can lead Zumba without the DVD.  Which everyone who knows me should know that I can´t dance to save my life.  But these girls wanted me to dance… so I pulled out the typical dancing with your fingers move, you know, the one where you move your index fingers from side to side simultaneously.  Well, no one here had ever seen that before and thought it was the most hilarious thing.  I spent the next 10 minutes trying to teach the girls how to do it… and only about 3 of them got it.  

Still trying to get me to dance, they asked if I had ever taken dance classes.  In my broken Spanish I tried to explain that the only dance classes I had ever taken were when I was little.  Of course me being me and needing to talk with my hands, when I said I was little, I put my hand, palm down, at about my waist – indicating little as we do in the US.  The girls all looked at me like I was crazy and Sor Berta explained to me that when you talk about people in Honduras your hand should be positioned up and down, palm facing away from you (like you are giving a high-five).  The way I positioned my hand, they use for talking about hens (at least I think that is what she said, I´ll have to ask again).  So apparently when I was young, I was a hen.  YES!  

On another note… yesterday it was 55° at home in Milwaukee… and guess what, it was somewhere between 50° and 60° here in Santa Rosa – and we are outside all day.  I thought I was escaping the cold of Wisconsin winters this year!  So not fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment